Using candles safely...

Like most home products, candles are safe as long as you use them properly. The problem is thinking that as long as a candle doesn't fall over or come into contact with anything flammable, it is okay. However, according to the National Candle Association ( there's more you can do to ensure candle safety.


  • Do not place candles where they can be knocked over by pets. (Cats can be particularly fascinated by the flickering light.)


  • Trim the wick to 1/4 inch before burning. A long wick can cause the candle to drip.


  • Don't burn a candle all the way down. At about two inches, put the candle out.


  • Despite what you see in movies, don’t try to bravely extinguish a candle with your fingers.


  • Avoid using a candle during a power outage. Use flashlights instead.

  • Never use a candle as a night light next to your bed. 

  • And, of course, never leave a candle burning unattended. If you need to leave the room, put the candle out.


No comments