You would have to visit your local pharmacy or science lab to rival the
number of potentially dangerous chemicals in the average home. You likely
store everything from fertilizers and acidic cleaners to gasoline and
corrosive drain openers.


Obviously, it makes sense to ensure that everyone in your home uses and
stores such items safely.

 

For example, laundry detergent packs – which have become popular
recently – are attractive to children. Keep them locked and out of sight. You
should do the same with all laundry products. Even exposure to fabric
softener pads can cause skin irritation to a child.

 

Always read and follow the labels on household chemical products. Use and
store them as directed.

 

Keep corrosives, such as harsh cleaners and drain openers, separate from
other chemicals and in a place where, should they leak, they will cause
minimal or no damage.

 

Also, never put a chemical in anything other than its original container. You
don’t want to take the chance that paint thinner stored in an old water bottle,
for example, is mistaken for water!

 

Finally, make sure you have the phone number to your local Poison Control
Center in a handy place, such as your fridge door. (You can find a list of
numbers at www.CAPCC.ca in Canada and www.AAPCC.org in the U.S.)

Read full post

Like most home products, candles are safe as long as you use them properly. The problem is thinking that as long as a candle doesn't fall over or come into contact with anything flammable, it is okay. However, according to the National Candle Association (candles.org) there's more you can do to ensure candle safety.

 

  • Do not place candles where they can be knocked over by pets. (Cats can be particularly fascinated by the flickering light.)

 

  • Trim the wick to 1/4 inch before burning. A long wick can cause the candle to drip.

 

  • Don't burn a candle all the way down. At about two inches, put the candle out.

 

  • Despite what you see in movies, don’t try to bravely extinguish a candle with your fingers.

 

  • Avoid using a candle during a power outage. Use flashlights instead.


  • Never use a candle as a night light next to your bed. 


  • And, of course, never leave a candle burning unattended. If you need to leave the room, put the candle out.

 

Read full post
The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.